Thursday, November 5, 2009

Live from Atlanta, it's Thursday night!

Who remembers when Thursday night was like THE best TV night of the week? This probably came about right around middle school for me - I was out of the TGIF mode (way too cool for school - I mean OMG, Hell-ooo, I'm like 12 years old, so mature and I don't have time for Family Matters, Step by Step, Full House and Boy Meets World, that stuff's for kids What-EVER). I had moved on to more adult-themed television - now get your head out of the gutter - not ADULT in that sense, but adult in the sense of I'm-really-not-old-enough-to-watch-this-and-understand-it-but-my-brother-and-his-high-school-friends-watch-this-so-I-want-to kind of adult TV. I'm talking about NBC's Must See TV on Thursday nights. You guys remember what I'm talking about - Friends, Seinfeld, Frasier, Cheers, Will & Grace, and of course, the never ending drama ER. Those were some good years in NBC's life (and mine for that matter). Now, I rarely understood the adult humor - in fact my dad wouldn't let me watch Friends for fear that I would have premarital sex before the age of 14, because according to him that's what Friends was promotiong.
So I'd have to sneak down to the basement to catch it and I usually had to change the channel really quickly if I heard him coming down the stairs because according to dear old dad "it's just an inappropriate show, all these adults living together, sleeping with each other and none of them married. i just don't think it's appropriate" Well Dad, I appreciate your attempt to keep me sheltered during my tween years, such a good role model you are - but honestly, I just really thought everyone on that show was really pretty and all my friends watched it so I still tried to catch that show as often as I could.

Then, what happened? NBC started sucking - profusely - for about 5 or 6 years. Friends kept it going a little bit but Thursday nights no longer belonged to NBC. I think all they had going for them was SNL with Will Ferrell and Tina Fey. But then, something changed. In 2005, The Office was born, and NBC began to redeem itself with some awesome television that turned into the 2000 version of Must-See-TV. Yes, Steve Carell, Rainn Wilson, John Krasinsky, and Jenna Fischer breathed life into NBC and the world was right again. 30 Rock followed soon after, and Parks & Recreation just came on the scene last year. NBC is holding their own again in the rankings and I, for one, am glad that they're putting out some great comedies again.

That being said, I came across this video today via twitter and I thought I'd share it with you all - my TWO beautiful and loyal readers. If you've already seen it, don't rain on my parade, I thought it was quite funny.

Welp, it's 15 min til Must-See-Thursday starts so I'm out! Have a good night!!

1 comment:

  1. those were the days! I watch those shows now and I get all the adult humor and I am like wow I used to laugh at this stuff and had NO idea wtf they were talking about haha. Oh memories...

    ReplyDelete