Monday, October 11, 2010

Facial Hair, Good or Bad?

In honor of this past weekends Georgia victory (41-14, whatup!) and the 2nd annual Stache Out weekend that carried on alongside it, I got to thinking about facial hair on a man, and what I like and dislike about it. There's something extremely creepy and child-molestor-esque about a moustache. But I can definitely support it for a day if it's synonymous with Georgia winning against Tennessee (or any other SEC team for that matter). But any other time, I'm not really a fan of the moustache. There are only a select few men who can pull off Just the Stache.

Three Men & a Baby was on HBO this weekend so I saw the yummy 1980s Tom Selleck sport his classic stache.


And of course there's Burt Reynolds.


And Johnny Depp can even pull it off pretty well.


But that's about where it ends for me. I think you have to have a certain face shape and bone structure and hair line to pull off a stache. And most people just look creepy if they only have a stache. For example:

The guy from Moulin Rouge



Prince


And Tom Cruise


Eww. Right? Need I say more?
But my dislike for moustaches is just that. For moustaches alone. When paired with other facial hair, I typicaly don't have a problem with it. I mean, who are we kidding, right? We all know that McDreamy made the "scruff" sexy back in 2004.

And personally, I'm pretty happy that he decided not to shave for a few days and become that much sexier. My mom may think he looks homeless but I think he looks DTF.

And to bring this post full-circle, and of course always revolving around me and my hot-mess-ness, I have to tell you that I've never really dated a guy who has grown a beard. There was the goatee back in 2004 - which makes me laugh when I look back at him. And of course my most recent ex pulled off the "I'm not shaving for a week" deal a couple of times. But to grow a full-on beard for more than a week and keep it long-ish - that's a new type of guy for me. When I met Chandler at the beginning of september he was clean-shaven. Then the seasons started changing, and he hasn't shaved pretty much since a week after we met. There was some excuse of having a bachelor party to go to and he wanted to do "manly things". Whatever, the important thing is, I actually kind of like it. I think it makes him look a little bit older (he kind of has a baby-face) and more distinguished. But I do have one complaint. It kind of tickles. It's grown long enough that it tickles my face. When it's newer "scruff" it's kind of harsh and a good make-out session leaves your face feeling a little bit like you just used an exfoliator. But when it's longer, it's softer and it tickles! I almost would rather it be harsh and uncomfortable. At least then you feel like there was some major passion to the makeout sesh you just completed, but having to stop and try to keep yourself from laughing mid-makeout is NOT fun. It's actually kind of awkward. So what now? Has anyone else had this problem before? Any suggestions? I think it's mainly the moustache part that bothers me/tickles me. I am pretty sure I can deal with the rest. But I think it's still a little early for me to be dictating his shaving ways. Thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. Ummm I have made it clear on my blog that I love the mountain man look :) However, I have never kissed someone with just a mustache. i shall make this a to-do immediately!

    ReplyDelete