Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Game: To play or not to play?

So I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket and I don't want to jinx myself like I talked about last week but I'm beginning to feel more and more like my new-found love-interest is taking on a larger role in my life than I expected him to at this point. And it's hard to transition. You know, you go from like single-ready-to-mingle, I-live-only-for-myself-and-don't-have-to-answer-to-anyone - to all of a sudden being like i-should-invite-him-to-my-non-profit-event-in-3-weeks-just-to-get-it-on-his-calendar-holy-shit-what-am-i-saying-that's-three-weeks-away! It's quite unnerving.

I mean think about it. You're 100% all about yourself. And then all of a sudden you find yourself wondering what he's doing on a certain weekend WAY far in advance because you want him to do something with you. Before, you would have been like - oh i'm definitely going to drive up to charlotte on a whim to visit my friend, and now you're like, oh but what if he want's to do something that weekend. It sucks. And I know exactly what Leigh would tell me if I asked for her advice. She'd be like "make your plans for charlotte - do it, he needs to learn to ask you out way in advance if he wants to spend time with you." and i get it. Really I do. But it's not like Chandler isn't planning in advance with me. He's actually amazingly good at planning things in advance with me. So I kind of feel like I owe to to him to give him a week's notice if I'm going to go out of town or something. I don't feel obligated, but I kind of want to tell him to give him the opportunity to make plans with me instead. And then I get all up-in-my-own-head being like "maybe I shouldn't be so available and I should turn down his dates every now and then, just to keep him in check". But then I'm like, that's just stupid. This is the first guy in a LONG time that's actually NOT playing games with you. He's very upfront. Told you he liked you and doesn't want to fuck things up on Saturday night. All green flags. No red yet. So why even do the whole "game" thing to yourself AND to him? It's stupid. Then I hear Leigh in the back of my mind - reminding me that I need to make it somewhat of a challenge for him.

What do you think? I know that everyone always gets to that point when they say "gah, I'm so sick of playing games, it's so childish and stupid" but secretly, those people are the ones who play the games more than anyone. So I don't want to sound like them and be all "gah, I'm so sick of playing games" but really, truthfully, I am. And I really don't know if I need to play games with Chandler. He's pretty straight with me. He's consistent. He contacts me in some way every single day. Even while on a bachelor party weekend. Even when I'm 3000 miles away in Vegas. The contact didn't fall by the wayside even for one day! That's plenty more than I can say for my last "boyfriend" And true, maybe we're kind of in the honeymooning stage - but not really because we've taken things pretty slow considering it's been a month since we met. But I guess we're still in the exploration stage of things. Getting to know each other just enough to realize we want to see each other again while still keeping some things about ourselves mysterious and vague. So I guess in THAT regard it is still a game. We're not putting all our cards out on the table just yet.

---------- Side note: I just got a Wine Carafe from one of my coworkers because I kicked ass at the company scavenger hunt yesterday afternoon and won. WHATUP ------------

Ok, back to the blog. So have I given you all enough information to warrant some comments? Do I try to play some games with Chandler or am I past that part of my life (or at least for this relationship)? Please weigh in. Berryfine, Leigh, Ash, etc, I'm lookin at yall!

5 comments:

  1. I was all set not to comment on this one because I do not play games and then you call me out. WTF is up with that?!?!?!

    That being said, I don't play games. If I want to see you, I tell you. And more often than not, this gets me into trouble. And the guy heads on out with the next train.

    I think you need to go to Charlotte. You're right, currently you don't owe him anything. Plus, if you do start dating seriously, this may be the only chance you have to go to Charlotte ALONE. For a fun weekend without your "boyfriend."

    I dislike that you want to mention Charlotte IN CASE HE WANTS TO MAKE ALTERNATE PLANS WITH YOU. Is that going to change your plans? The way you wrote it makes it sound like you want to plan Charlotte but if he asks you out, you will cancel it. Charlotte should be your plan A not your Plan B in case he doesn't want to hang out.

    Remember to keep being you and doing what you do. Trips shouldn't be cancelled because boy of the moment (no matter how awesome his long term potential is) has called. He'll appreciate it more that you have your own friends, your own life. He'll know it's okay for him to have his own time and you won't get pissed because you can occupy yourself.

    Not that I do any of this. You'd have to date to do that. And we know that isn't Little Black Book's style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a lot like you. I would be like "what if he wants to do something that weekend?" and make the Charlotte trip Plan B, knowing good and well that I should just go - but the 'what if's' are endless in this early stage. Because you are so damn excited to be dating a potential long term guy! Its impossible to not being thinking ahead, making mental notes of going to this event or that party. We are women. We are single. We are looking for something worth while for once. It's what we do! But like Berryfine stated above: Remember to keep being you and do what you want to do! (sucks don't it?)

    I think you just tell him your plans. See what he says. Read his body language, that ought to say a whole lot about how he feels with you leaving with his instant reaction. Don't throw out there any other option. Go. And have fun. Yes, we all know you will be checking your phone constantly while you are there. I am not even going to pretend that I would not. But if the communication is as good now as it was when you were in Vegas then you have nothing to worry about.

    Just don't freak him out with the "I miss you" text. He might run then! Be nonchalant and say you are having a fabulous time when he texts/calls you first (even if you aren't and had wished you had made him plan a instead of plan b!) Dont forget the cardinal rule of texting while playing the game. Always let him text first, and never be the last to text! BAM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well spoken ladies. I like where this is coming from. Berryfine - I wasn't calling you out on game playing or anything, I just wanted advice. So thanks for that. And I agree, re-reading that it sounds pathetic for me to say "in case he wants to make plans" I know all of this. I know I need to live my life and if he wants to be a part of it then great, if not, I'm gonna keep movin.

    I do need to remind myself that being in separate cities hasn't stopped us before so a trip to charlotte should be no thang.

    Seriously ladies - thank you for the shouts! I appreciate them. totes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha- I meant calling me out to comment :) I know I'm not a game player- I sit on the bench yo!

    I can't wait to see how this all pans out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are most welcome! Looking forward to seeing what comes from this!! Goooood Luck!!

    ReplyDelete