Saturday, November 21, 2009

Good luck movin up cuz IIIIII-IIIII'MMM movin out!

I am so excited. My roommates PCBH and Lily and I are about to to move out of suburbia and back ITP!! We've been living in my friend's place for the last couple of months while she's been fraternizing with beautiful Europeans, away on important business, but she's about to return to the states so we gotta pack it up & move it out. That's right kids, we're about to move back to the Milledge Ave Retirement Community - for all you non-UGA fans, that's code for Buckhead. Milledge Ave is where all of Greek life lives at UGA. And I swear to you the majority of the greek community that doesn't stay for grad school or move out of state, graduates and retires to Buckhead, where we act like we're still in college. I'd say the only difference is that now we have degrees, jobs and this thing called "responsibility" whatever the hell THAT is.

All I know is that I'm SO glad we're going to be back in the city. Right now I have a bitch of a commute and if I can cut that in half my life will be filled with so much more happiness. It's crazy how an hour in the car each way can really bring your day down. It's like you fight traffic to get to work. Then you bust your ass at work and inevitably have a shit day because there's simply not enough time to do everything you need to do, and then you have another hour if not hour and a half of fighting traffic on the way home! It sucks. Not to mention that thanks to Daylight Savings Time, I don't get to see an ounce of sunlight by the time I actually do get home. If I wanted to live in a world with no sunlight I'd move Forks - at least there I'd have some vampire and werewolf companions. And as wonderful as it might be to surround myself with the likes of Edward Cullen and Jacob Black, I think I'd rather just live in what's supposed to be beautiful sunny georgia and I guess I'll just have to enjoy the sunshine on my lunch breaks.

Speaking of Edward Cullen, I DID get to see the premiere on Thursday night/Friday morning at 12:01. After a few tried and true margaritas at Uncle Julio's and a surprise visit from my good ole friend Jim, I waited in the freezing cold outside of the movie theatre for over an hour to meet my fate with the ticket-stub tearers, along with 500 other crazy lunatics. I have to say that I found myself a bit surprised at while waiting in line - because believe it or not, we were not alone in our age range. I'd say the majority of the Twi-hards were 20-somethings or older. The lack of parental supervision - or more the lack of need of parental supervision - is what tipped me off. Of course, there were a few high-schoolers clad in their pajama pants and hoodie sweatshirts, I think I saw one or two dads their with their daughters who were under the age of 15, but most of the people in that line were much closer to my age than I would have imagined. I don't know if I should be comforted by this fact or not. These people were not attractive. And maybe it was the tequila talking but I'm pretty sure I said something to that effect to my friends. Something along the line of "I'm pretty sure we're the most attractive looking people here" So that's why I'm not sure if I should be comforted or worried. The 20-something Twi-hards are unattractive. Does that mean my friends and I are unattractive? Whoa there. That cannot be! Ok, just for arguments sake, I'm going to put a picture of myself on here so that you can judge for yourself if you think that I am attractive - I know I know! I'm not supposed to be flaunting my identity on here but I think that this question warrants the upload of a photo. Girls - I hope you're not upset with me that I posted your photos too.

This is a photo montage of me and my friends:



I'm on the top left, Sophia is in the photo below me, Theresa is the top right and Angelica is bottom right.

I mean, what do you think? Are we attractive people? I kind of think we are. So...why wasnt anyone else at the theatre attractive? What is that saying about us?

Oh well, I guess I don't truly care, seeing as I'm going to go see the movie again next week with my cousin. Ah yes, Thanksgiving, the time when glutenous behavior is encouraged and frivolous shopping is not looked down upon. I think this may be my favorite time of year! But that's for another post.

Back to New Moon. My review: B+

There were many things I loved about this movie and a few things I was not so fond of. Rather than give a play by play of it, I'll just post my pros and cons (IMO) and hopefully not give away too many details for those of you who haven't seen it yet. (and if you haven't seen it yet, face it, you're not a twi-hard and you will never be as beautiful as me and my friends.)

Pros:
-Taylor Launter w/o his shirt for 3/4ths of the movie (I know he's only 17, dont go calling To Catch A Predator on me, they did NOT make them like that when I was 17, so therefore I don't truly believe he's 17)
-Kristen Stewart's acting has improved immensely since the first movie - still some awkwardness but she did a pretty great job
-There was some much needed comic relief - and I applaud that. It's hard when you know the book so well, to be surprised at anything in the movie (except of course for parts that the director cut), but they did a great job of adding in some humor at times when I didn't really expect it. Bravo Chris Weitz, Bravo.
-The Volturi was cast very well
-The special effects were done very well - between the Volturi scene and the wolves it was pretty awesome.
-They stuck to the story line and didnt add any random "spider monkey" crap to the movie

Cons:
-Some crucial (IMO) scenes were cut
-Rob Pattinson over-acted a little bit
-Rob Pattinson wasnt nearly as hot as he should have been - something about the lighting/makeup
-The end of the movie happened WAY too fast, it was like it was being fast-forwarded! Not enough build up when the whole "Edward is going to Italy to kill himself" thing came up. It was like phone call from Edward, Jacob lies on the phone, and bam, Alice and Bella are in Italy. There was no plane ride, no explanation of the visions Alice sees, it's just "Bella, you have to stop him, he wont believe if he sees me" and then Bella stops him. The Volturi scene was good but then, again, they skip over the ride home and the airport and everything with the Cullen family.

Ok, I said I wouldnt divulge too much about the movie but I think I just did. My b. Anyway, I do give it a B+, I thought it was done better than Twilight but the New Moon story overall isn't my favorite compared to the rest of the series. I know it's impossible to fit everything from the book into the movie but I was a little bummed when some of my fave "scenes" weren't there. I didn't get the suspense I wanted. Then again, I do know the story well so perhaps if I hadn't read the book it would have been great! Who knows.

Regardless I'm going to see it again. If you haven't yet, I suggest you do - it is worth your money IMO.

On an unrelated note, Happy Birthday Sophia! I hope it's wonderful and will see you in a few hours!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment