Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Think I Went Out With a Serial Killer

Quite possibly. It's still a little too early to tell, but Adam might be a serial killer. I'm sure you're wondering what led me to this conclusion. Last week I talked to you about how I had 3 different dates, with 3 different guys, and Adam seemed like the only normie of the group, right? Well I still think that might be the case but it might also mean that he's a serial killer.

Maybe I should back up. A serial killer, when related to online dating, means a few different things to me:

  • First of all, the obvious: Ted Bundy types who are obsessive/complusive, and extremely methodical when it comes to claiming their victims. You really don't know how chemically imbalanced/psychotic/terrifying the potential dater could be. He really might chop you up into little pieces before the date ends and no one will ever see you again.
  • Then there's the serial killer dater. Where it's just one after the other after the other. Meaning they might not physically kill your body after meeting you, but they know how to "systematically and methodically kill every real opportunity at a relationship..." says my new favorite blogger, Disaster on Heels. This guy is likely NOT ready for a relationship even though he's giving it an honest effort by taking you out on a date. Essentially the serial killer in the online dating world flips a switch at some point during the date (or right after). When you, this amazing, wonderful, beautiful, well-put-together woman are out on a date with a serial killer, you won't even know that you've done or said something that's caused the switch to flip! And that's because you may not have done anything at all. But the serial killer realizes that you are it - you are what he's been looking for, you are this perfect creature that is not only gorgeous, sexy and fun, but also caring and bring-home-to-mom-material...and he's not ready for you. So he will shut down, shut you out, and you will probably never hear from him again.
So back to Adam...it's been 5 days as of tonight since we had, what I thought, was a GREAT first date. Granted, I know he was out of town this past weekend and went back to work on Monday (probably had to catch up yesterday from taking off Friday) so I shouldn't be too worried that he hasn't gotten back in touch with me. But the bottom line is...no contact has been made since the last encounter Thursday night. And I don't want to shower myself with excuses of his lack of effort to reach me. Sure, he might be still catching up from the weekend, but I can't count on that. I MUST assume that he's simply not that interested. Any girl who wants to tell me otherwise at this point, save it. And I'll tell you why. I received contact from the other two guys I went on a date with the day after we had our dates. And I didn't respond to them because I'm just not that into them. Now the shoe's on the other foot and the guy I want to reach out to me, has not done so. Sure, I could be the one to initiate contact but I don't want to seem too eager, and truthfully, I don't want him to feel obligated to contact me just because I reached out to him. When we left things, he said he would contact me. Which puts me in an awkward position if I try to jump the gun by contacting him first. And while I know that him saying that he'd contact me might be the kiss of death because already made up his mind that he's not interested (or in a serial killer's case, too interested), I'd rather be strong and hold out. Because the truth of the matter is...if he IS a serial killer, I'm better off keeping my distance. With that in mind, que sera, sera.

All I know is, if no one hears from me by this time next week, you might want to file a missing person's report. Just sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment