Monday, March 8, 2010

Blast from the Past - Holy Awkward

So this past Saturday was an interesting one. I went to Leon's in Decatur for happy hour with my girlfriends, and then headed over to my friend's house for a birthday party. Party was a lot of fun and it was good to see everyone - and eventually (as is the routine), the whole group went out to the bars in Buckhead. Stout was the pub of choice and I was having me a good ole time (as per usual). The drinks were flowing and I was feelin pretty good. So I step outside to make a phone call and all of a sudden, I hear a male voice call my name. I turn around and my jaw DROPS.

Who do I see? None other than one of my campers from when I was a church camp counselor, Geoffrey. Ho. Ly. Shit. I haven't seen Geoffrey since I was probably 17 and he was 12. Um...this is a little awkward. Considering I'm holding a beer and a cigarette in my hand. And he was my camper from a CHRISTIAN CHURCH. hmm....So I'm like, "oh. my. gosh, GEOFFREY!??" and he's like "Yeah, hey, how have you been?" and I mean, I absolutely could NOT wrap my head around this situation. He looks exactly the same, except about a foot taller than he was before, and he's grown into himself a little more - not quite as gangly and awkward as a 12 year old, but it's not like he changed so much that I didn't recognize him. And I mean, I'm 24 so that puts him at what, 19, maybe 20? Great...so I'm at a bar seeing one of my underage campers enjoying a beer...and a cigarette. Wow. I know I shouldn't condone that behavior but, who am I to talk? I did exactly what he's doing now when I was 19 and 20. But something just feels so wrong about it. I guess because I was in a role-model type role when we were younger and now I'm not really living the stand-up Christian life that I once preached? Wow, how's that for a wake-up call? But Geoffrey didn't seem to care at all that he saw me in a bar - he thought it was pretty cool, ya know, now that we're both adults, we can do these things together, right? Hmm...it still felt kind of weird but what choice did I have but to go with the flow? And he's apparently in school at App State and I guess it was spring break for him, which is why he was home this weekend? I don't know. All I know is I had an out-of-body experience seeing him. I used to babysit this kid - and his little brother! He was born in 1990! And I simply can't wrap my head around the fact that he's old enough to be in college and drink and smoke. Ugh. I feel old. What happened to cute, little, innocent, adorable Geoffrey? I guess I just have to face the fact that he's an adult now, can make his own decisions and that hopefully I had some positive influence on his life in the past. Right...

No comments:

Post a Comment