Thursday, March 11, 2010

And the Twilight Saga Obsession Continues...

Well, it's here. The first full-length trailer of Eclipse debuted today. Yep, the third installment of the Twilight Saga has been made into a movie and is coming to a theatre near you in exactly 112 days! I. Cannot. Wait!

Yesterday, Theresa sent me this 10 second teaser and I was ecstatic! And today she sent me the Full Blown Aids version and I about peed my pants! Ok, that was a lot of back-linking on my part, but for those of you just joining the blog, I figure you need to know what and who I'm talking about. If you're a new reader, you may not be aware of my fasciniation with the Twilight Saga. And before you laugh at me and judge me for being a 24 year old who is fixated on a tween book-obsession, hear me out. I was very hesitant to give Twilight a shot at first.
It all started back in summer of '08 when I was playing around on facebook and came across these bumper stickers that were all like "I only date guys who drive silver Volvos and who Glitter in the sunlight" and "Edward and Bella Forever" and "Team Edward" and "Team Jacob" and all this crap. And I didn't understand what any of it was. Then I saw trailers for the movie and I kind of poked fun at it for a little while. SOOO dramatic, right? So...it wasn't until Christmas rolled around, when my cousin Sara who is only 2 years younger than me, was talking about her love affair with the Twilight Saga. She was asking for one of the books for Christmas and was almost finished reading the 2nd or 3rd I think - and she was like "trust me, once you read the books, you'll understand." So I considered it, but I still wasn't completely sold. I was interested in watching the movie a little bit though - even if it was about a hokey fantasy story about vampires. Sara assured me that the storyline carried it through the fantastical parts really well and that I wouldn't be disappointed.

Still reluctant in my move to purchase a book and read it (and let's face it, who actually goes to the library these days...am I right?) I thought that if someone loaned it to me, then I would read it and see what I thought. But Sara was already back at school and I didn't exactly want to make it known to all of my friends that I was interested in this book written for tweens. Luckily, the stars aligned and PCBH was given the book by a friend for Christmas. After she read it, and attested that it was KIND of amazing, I decided I should give it a shot. Lucky for me, my friend Serena had come to visit (or maybe I went to visit her - it's hard to keep track) and PCBH and I were able to borrow books 2, 3, and 4. Serena was a Twi-hard apparently and she too agreed that I would not be able to put the books down once I started them. So here we were, about to embark on an epic adventure of literature...in a world where vampires exist and they're so exquisitely beautiful and lovely that you just might fall in love with one of them. So I started reading the first book after PCBH finished, and I have to say, Stephenie Meyer--you my friend--know how to write a love story. Ho.Ly.Shit. I was hooked immediately! I mean, I could NOT put the book down! I was reading it until I fell asleep every night after work, and I was reading it AT work during my lunch breaks...that turned into 2.5 hour lunch breaks instead of the measly "1 hour" that I'm really allotted. I was reading while stopped at red lights - I kid you not! It was so intriguing and so amazingly wonderful. It gave me butterflies and I was 100% enthralled with Edward and Bella's love story. It made me somewhat nostalgic for high school - when you get that high-school-first-love-puppy-dog-romance. Your whole life becomes about your high school sweetheart and you don't care about anyone else in the world. And their love was so strong for one another, you just yearn for that. So...like I said, I was kind of hooked. I read the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th books within a matter of weeks. And then...I saw the movie. (womp womp) Kind of a let-down. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the characters were cast pretty well, but it just seemed like some of the actors were trying too hard to get it right. And Catherine Hardwicke didn't develop their relationship nearly enough to do the book any justice. I think I just had such high expectations because the book was SO good, but after watching it a few times, I came around and started to like the way it was developed. Unfortunately, there have to be a lot of cuts when a book is turned into a movie, and I understand that. So I began to appreciate it for what it was. Don't get me wrong -- It could have been a LOT better, but isn't that true of ALL movies that are developed from novels?

Anyway, so over the past year or so, I've read and listened to the books online more times than I'm proud to admit. In fact, I think this might be the longest amount of time I've gone without being in the middle of reading one of the books - it's been since Christmas I think. But don't think that I've lost interest. No, the new Eclipse trailer has me reeled in, ready for June to get here already. New Moon was a pretty great movie - better done than Twilight but I'm not as big a fan of the New Moon story - I've discussed this already though back in November so I won't get into that here. Regardless, you better believe the countdown to Eclipse has begun and I WILL be there the night it debuts.

Anyway, it's time for me to get back to work. This Teeny-Bopper is OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment