Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Holy 1996

So I don't normally blog twice in one day but I just HAD to mention this this afternoon because if I don't then I'll forget about it by tomorrow's post - which sucks - and also it will have nothing to do with WTW so it wouldn't be fitting. Not to mention I'm not working Thurs which means I definitely won't be blogging then(because it's what i do to pass the time, jk, but not really, or am i?) and by the time friday rolls around i REALLY will have forgotten.

So I was jammin out in my car on the way back from lunch and switched the station to 99x. My all-time favorite radio station evs! 99x was probably the first REAL radio station I listened to once I finally started appreciating music of my generation.
Don't get me wrong, Dad always had me listening to country music and Mom had her Fox 97 so I definitely listened to music pre-99x, but man, once I discovered 99x it was like someone had lifted the veil from my eyes and brought me to life. 99x was THE station in the 90s. Alternative Rock. It was the kick-ass station that introduced me to Live, Bush, Nirvana, Blues Traveler, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Silverchair, No Doubt, Cake, Gin Blossoms, Alanis Morrisette, Garbage, The Cranberries and more. Many more. Including one hit wonders like Popular (Nada Surf anyone?) and K's Choice (Not an Addict)...which brings me to today's post! K's Choice. Yep, I heard K's Choice on the way back from lunch and let me just say, OMG, flashback! To 1996, sitting in Erin's room with her boombox, probably wearing a joe-boxer baby tee and cuffed jean shorts, with socks and fake birkenstocks. My hair unstraightened and parted straight down the middle. Braces and no makeup. Erin is wearing a crop top underneath a pair of short overalls and her red framed glasses with multi-colored speckles around the frames. Hair also not straightened and parted in the middle...and playing in the background: "Not an Addict" on repeat. Not familiar with "Not an Addict"? First, you must appreciate the album cover art:


A weird Picaso-esque drawing where one guy has hands coming out of his head. Not weird in the slightest. In fact, just looking at this cover takes me back to a simpler time in my life. A time when the most important things in my life were pogs and music...and maybe a training bra.

Now if you don't recognize this cover art and you still don't know what/who I'm talking about, then 1) where have you been living, under a stupid rock? and 2) Please, allow me:

(an obnoxious amount of Ooo-ooo's)
Breathe it in and breathe it out
And pass it on, it's almost out
We're so creative, so much more
We're high above, but on the floor

It's not a habit it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side

The deeper you stick it in your veins
The deeper the thoughts there's no more pain
I'm in heaven, I'm a god
I'm everywhere, I feel so hot

It's not a habit it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side
I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)

(an obnoxious amount of Ooo-ooo's)
It's over now, I'm cold, alone
I'm just a person on my own
Nothing means a thing to me
Oh nothing means a thing to me

It's not a habit it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side
I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)

Free me, leave me
Watch me as I'm going down and
Free me, see me
Look at me, I'm falling and I'm fallin

It is not a habit, it is cool I feel alive I feel
It is not a habit, it is cool I feel alive

It's not a habit it's cool, I feel alive
If you don't have it you're on the other side
I'm not an addict (maybe that's a lie)
I'm not an addict....

No? Still nothin? Fine, enjoy...back in a time when MTV actually played music videos and The Real World was the most taboo thing ever shown on TV and Jared Leto was the love of my life (those were the days!).



AAANNNDDD WOW. Just, wow. Slightly trippy. And the headbanging. And the creepy bass player standing behind Sarah Bettens around minute 2:59. And the eerie way she looks skeletal. Probably from doing too much heroine. And does she remind anyone else of a dik-ier version of Mary Louise Parker? But blonde of course...And I love the fact that Erin and I knew EVERY word to that song (and apparently still do) back in 1996. When we were 10 about to turn 11. And did we have any idea what it meant to be an addict? Did we know what she was talking about when she said "the deeper you stick it in your veins"? or "pass it on, it's almost out"? No. No we did not. But we knew that it had to be something bad-ass at the time. And we probably pretended that we knew exactly what it meant and scoffed at the other 5th graders when they asked us. "You don't know? Well I'm not going to tell you then because you're waaayyy to immature to handle the subject if you don't already know what it means. hahahaha you're a looooser! (as we held our right hand in an "L" shape and put it on top of our foreheads)" Because 5th graders can be mean to one another. And we wanted to seem like we were cool. When honestly we had no clue what it meant. Oohhhh the days.

Ok, so glad I got to knock out this little post today. I feel so accomplished. Almost as accomplished as I did when I would win a game of pogs with my super slammer.

Fin!

2 comments:

  1. I was the pog champion of my day...oh, memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw K's Choice at Music Midtown- they autographed a bunch of shit for me and were super nice. I wish I could have been in college in the 90s. Good Lord that would have been fantastic!

    ReplyDelete