Tuesday, December 29, 2009

This New Years, I think I'll just sit at home and twiddle my thumbs...

Well, I'm back from my 4 day torture with my parents and greater family family vacation, and I'm also back at work. For today. I had quite the interesting Christmas last week: celebrating 5 days early, having a brief encounter with the law (what says happy holidays like a citation from a police officer on christmas eve morning?), working the full 3 days at work when I only planned for 2, spending a mind-numbing 7 hours in the car with my parents - each way - down to florida and back, and getting shnockered on Christmas night. And I do mean shnockered. All in all I'd say it was a "meh" Christmas. Don't get me wrong, there were some really fun parts! Like going to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie (I could look at Jude Law and Robert Downey Jr for days without getting sick of it ::swoon::), spending time with my cousins (we're almost all of age now!), getting presents, eating amazing food and drinking some of Uncle Johns Medicine. But there were some really shitty parts too. Like the citation I mentioned earlier, the lack of sleep over the entire break (we had a zoo at our house on Christmas, literally), the rain in Florida and having to work yesterday and today.

And on top of that, I have no idea what the hell I'm going to do for NYE. When you live in Atlanta and you celebrate New Year's, you generally fall into one of two categories: 1) You go out with a bang and pay an arm and a leg to go to some fancy shmancy hotel and get so shnockered that you generally black out before midnight and wake up drowning in your own puke. Or 2) You want to do something relatively low-key, like a house party or maybe even go out of town because you are "so over the atlanta NYE scene". This year, I'm definitely falling into the latter of the two. I've been to downtown Atlanta and watched the peach drop at midnight. I've rung in the new year with Sister Hazel playing and getting smooshed between hoards of people and kissing my boyfriend at midnight and dancing, and complaining about my feet hurting, and spilling drinks all over the new dress that I bought JUST for this occasion. But this year, things were a little bit different when December 1st rolled around and everyone started making plans. Everyone was talking about Park Tavern and the Hyatt, both of which seem like decent options but they cost at least $90 (and that's not including the killer dress and heels I'd have to purchase). Not to mention that even though a ton of my friends would be there, there would also be a few cotton headed ninny-muggins that I wouldn't want to spend my NYE with. It feels like bad karma to ring in the new year with people that I'm not particularly fond of, like my year will be cursed and I'll have to spend a lot more time with them than I ever would have dreamed of in the first place. So I put off making my plans. Then Ted mentioned that I should ring in the new year with him and Charlie in Charlotte...which got me thinking - I have a lot of friends up there, that might not be a bad idea! And then my globe-trotter friend got back from Spain and she suggested that we go to Florida and spend NYE with her. My options were starting to open up for me. Yeah! NYE in Atlanta is overrated...I should get out of town, spend it with a few close friends and forget about all the hype.

Well, both of those plans fell through. Ted is now coming down here for a bowl game, and Florida is out because the weather is supposed to be as shitty there as it is here. Not to mention PCBH and I both spent the better part of last week in our cars and a 9 hour drive to FL and back doesn't sound so fun anymore. AND, thanks to my little incident on Christmas eve, I'm out of moolah for a while. So, Sophia asked me to join her at Whiskey Park, which sounds fun, but again, with the moolah situation. And the whole attitude I've had about being OVER the NYE Atlanta hype. So PCBH suggested that we have people over, just a small gathering. Mainly for people who's NYE plans fell through, like ours. just kidding. but not really. And honestly, I'm ok with having people over but I don't want to pay for anything, I don't want to plan anything, and I don't really want to do anything. So unless I have some change-of-heart-adrenaline-rush between now and 10pm NYE, I think I'll just lock myself in my room, throw on some PJs and watch Season 3, 4 and 5 of Entourage (thank you santa). Oh, and I'll be twiddling my thumbs.

1 comment:

  1. I understand what you're going through...just know you can join MY entourage for $30! Haha...anyhow, I get it. But I'm just excited about ringing in the new year with people who I really care about...in style, of course! To a fresh start in 2010! (toasting my glass of champs)

    ReplyDelete