Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thank God BSB is tonight, otherwise Eff My Life

So...the day has arrived...the loves of my life are returning to the stage at Chastain Amphitheatre! That's right! Backstreet's Back Alright!!!!!!!!! And thank GOD for that. This morning on my way to work, my car completely died. Like, engine went kaput. I had to deal with AAA and Hertz and didn't get to work until an hour ago. I should probably NOT be blogging right now, but working instead, BUT I simply can't NOT acknowledge that the Backstreet Boys are coming to Atlanta tonight so here we sit. I'll make this short and sweet.

There's been a lot of talk about the 90s music recently. I talked about it 2 weeks ago. Meg talked about it yesterday. Sophia has an app on her iPhone that allows her to pick a year and it plays the top 100 songs of that year (of course, she picked 1998, BSB had 4 hits). And dammit if I don't think about and remember how great Slap Bracelets and Pogs were every day of my existence. (Zack Morris Time Out -- PCBH has been introduced to Silly Bands - which I had honestly never heard of in my life until about a week ago. Are you familiar with Silly Bands? They're these little rubber bracelets that people wear all the time. When they're NOT on your wrist, they take the shapes of squirrels, fairies, cows, boxes, cups, trees, lightning, marilyn monroe, the titanic -- pretty much anything you can think of (they're so silly!) Move over Live Strong! There's a new bracelet in town, and it has nothing to do with beating cancer or fighting for a cause. They're simply silly. Now because of my deep appreciation for slap bracelets and pogs, I can understand the fascination with silly bands...if I were in middle school. But the "silly" thing about these is that girls who are 18 and older collect these things and wear 50 of them on each arm creating a sleeve of silly bands. Which I don't understand. BUT I guess it's a fad and we have to let it run its course. Just like Slap Bracelets and Pogs. Zack Morris Time IN!)

Back to the point though: Holy 90s, how I love thee, for you gave me the greatest gift a woman could ever dream of. In addition to slap bracelets, pogs, My So-Called Life, Party of Five, JTT, Right Said Fred, Kriss Kross, and Joe Boxer Baby Tees, you gave us the Backstreet Boys. In 1997 I went to my first ever Backstreet Boys concert with my best friend Erin. It was at the Fox Theatre. We were in the balcony. The boys were but a speck on the stage but we were in LOVE. With hits like Quit Playin Games with My Heart and As Long As You Love Me, Erin and I swooned and became BSB fans 4 LYFE! Every time they've come to Atlanta, we've seen them in concert except ONE time (for each of us). But we made up for it by going to see them in Charlotte. So essentially for the last 13 years of our lives, we've been going to Backstreet Boys concerts. Yes, we're 24 and 25 and no we're not ashamed to shout it from the mountain tops that we will ALWAYS be fans. The Backstreet Boys are like our parents' Beatles. And don't think I'm speaking blasphemy for comparing them to the Beatles. BSB hasn't been around as long to earn the fame and respect that the Beatles already have. But you better believe that I will shove the Backstreet Boys down my kids' throats just as my parents did the Beatles to me. And my daughter will fall in love with their music (and possibly Brian) just as I did with the Beatles! But, I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Can I get real with you guys for a minute? (Always) The thing I love about going to Backstreet Boys NOW, as an adult, is the nostalgia it brings me. When BSB was big, they were HUGE. Larger than LIFE, if you will. And at their concerts now, after their hay-day has come and gone, they capitalize on the classics and still do the dances that go with the songs! I seriously squeal like a 12 year old when they take the stage. Erin said it best after the last concert we went to: we're basically 12 year olds who are allowed to legally drink. So alcohol + heart-throb of heart-throbs, BSB = 20 somethings who sound and act like 12 year olds. Seriously, I can't even explain to you how amazing the concerts are and how deep in love I fall back into with them. There are 7 of us going tonight...all HUGE fans and you better believe I'll be screaming every lyric at the top of my lungs from start to finish. Fun times had by all. Unless you're one of our lucky boyfriends being dragged along. Because, like 12 year olds (at least in my day), we aren't putting out for you at the end of the night. We're braiding each other's hair and gossipping about how GORGEOUS the BSB looked. Sucks for you! (who am I kidding, none of us would ever drag a boyfriend to this concert - this is 100% Girls Night Out!) So...if you need me, I'll be driving my rental car to Chastain, and rocking out to BSB ALL NIGHT LONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment