Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I have to remind myself it's only 10 months

This past Saturday marked a sad and hard day in the life of Blaire McBlogger. Yep, this past Saturday I had to say goodbye to a dear friend of mine, Sophia. She's headed for bigger and brighter things than this lowly city of Atlanta has to offer her. She's off to discover the west coast, and fashion school, and rub elbows with the likes of LC and Heidi, among others. And you better believe she will be missed. School starts in a little over a month for Soph, and I can wish her nothing but the best while she's over there in Sunny Cali. But damn am I going to miss her. I know I've mentioned Sophia in my posts before, but I don't think I've ever really given you the background on how we became such good friends. So please, allow me:


Last year at this time, Sophia and I both had "boyfriends" (for lack of a better term). Well, ok, Sophia DEFINITELY had a boyfriend. I had a boy that I was dating/hanging-out-with/spending-every-weekend-with/going-to-weddings-with/meeting-each-other's-parents-with/but-not-in-an-exclusive-relationship-with. Yes, it was "complicated" if you will. But that's neither here nor there. Our "boyfriends" were, what you might call, besties. They became friends during college. James (my "bf") and Brad (Sophia's bf) we'll call them. James was also good friends with Sophia thanks to his sister's sorority ties, so it was quite common that James and Soph would hit the bars together back in college. And that's how Sophia met Brad. So a couple years go by and I'm introduced to James via another friend. We hit it off and start "dating" (see above) and then St Patty's day rolls around a few months later. I have not missed a St Patty's day in Savannah in 4 years (until 2010, sadface). So 2009 was no different. And James was going on 5 years in a row, I believe. So naturally, it made sense that we would both go down to Savannah and visit our friends/get shnockered with the best of them! Brad lived down there so we decided to bunk up with Brad and his roommate who had this awesome house down there. And that's when I was lucky enough to meet Sophia, Brad's girlfriend and James's friend from college.

Not going to lie, I'd heard about this girl through James, seen her in his fb pictures (a girl's gotta do a little stalking, right?) and I was extremely intimidated to meet her. James held her in such high regard as one of his best girl friends and I was terrified that she wouldn't like me. Because if she didn't like me then I was convinced that James would stop liking me, and I didn't want that. So what did I do? I tried to put on my best sorority-face and charm the shit out of her. But, as I'm sure you readers can imagine, that "charm" turned into awkwardness. And then I got too drunk to know my own name and proceeded to blackout. So by the time Sunday rolled around and we packed up our shit to head back to Atlanta, I wasn't really sure what she thought of me. Then I checked my digital camera and realized we had pictures together! That was a good sign. And then there was the car ride home w/ 2 of my girlfriends and hearing them say how much they liked her. And I still kind of had a looming question mark over my head, wondering what she thought about me. I was so concerned with not saying the wrong thing around her that I didn't really get a chance to get to know her like my other friends had. But, that quickly changed. Before we knew it, Steeplechase was upon us and Soph has plans to join us in the drunken festivities. That weekend I got to spend a little more time w/ her and despite the drama that ensued with Brad, Sophia and I began to bond. The bond continued to grow throughout the summer with saturdays spent at the pool, and before I knew it, we booked a trip to Nashville together. Shortly after the trip to Nashville, we went to a wedding together in booneyville, GA and we became rock solid. This girl was the shit. And I was SO thankful to James for introducing us.

Shortly after the wedding in bumblefuck, GA, we both split from James and Brad, for different and unrelated reasons. But these breakups brought Sophia and I MUCH closer together than ever before. Then our mutual love for the Twilight saga and distaste for many of the men in our lives transported us to another level entirely. We crossed over into Biffle land. And nothing has been the same ever since. We've been through so much together in the last 14 months and my life would be extremely different without her, and definitely not as fun.
And now, she's in cali, pursuing her dream of fashion school and I'm back here in Atlanta, missing her. I don't know what I'm going to do without her.
I'm lost and weird without you here
But I have to remind myself that it's less than a year that she'll be gone. 10 months, to be exact. She'll be back in March and I just have to remind myself of that all the time. Lucky for me, Sophia has already done her undergrad so the program she's enrolled in is only a 10 month program (as opposed to the high schoolers who go straight to fashion school w/o any college knowledge, or coll knowl, if you will). And to rectify the situation of Soph being 3000 miles away, we've decided to start a co-blog together! You can check it out HERE. And I will be going to visit my biffle later this summer and I'm sure that we'll have LOTS of fun stories for you to read about then. SO, be sure to check in at the new blog and this one. Because yes, even though I'm starting a new blog w/ Soph, I'm also keeping up with this one to continue WTW and putting my drunk antics on display for all of my loyal fans. So keep reading!

Also, I think you will be VERY pleased with tomorrow's WTW. I came across a few awesome vids over the last week (i love stockpiling) so hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised! Until then...

1 comment:

  1. I love you. I miss you. Oh baby, oh baby. That is all. *Soph

    ReplyDelete