Wednesday, January 6, 2010

That might be the most depressing letter I've ever read

So, I read the letter. I felt a little bit Ryan Atwood-esque circa 2004 in the OC when he steals a letter out of Marissa's locker, written by Oliver Trast, thinking that it's a love letter to Marissa...only to find out later that Oliver wrote it to his figment of Oliver's chemical imbalance,  imagination, girlfriend, Natalie Bishop. Only, I didn't read this letter out of jealousy, I read it out of pure curiousity. I was curious as to why someone is addressing me as "Bella McGinn" instead of "Bella McBlogger", and I was curious as to who could honestly remember me from my run-in-with-the-law that they would be sending me a letter from jail? Not because I'm not a memorable person. But because I literally did as little amount of talking as possible while I was there and because I was afraid to make eye contact with anyone. I'm still having nightmares about that place and the coke-whorish stories I heard while I was there.

After reading the letter, I feel horrible for this person. I don't know what exactly he did to be writing from prison - but the letter is written to his "Momma" and it is so sad. I feel horrible for reading it, but I legitimately thought it was addressed to me and that my name was just misspelled at first - until I opened it and it said "Dear Momma". And Lord knows I am not a mother to any child at this point in my life and don't plan to be for a while. Nor do I go by the nickname "Momma". And I know I should have stopped there and returned to sender, but I got curious. Whatever this man did, it's evident that he is truly truly sorry. And all he wants his family to know is that he loves them and that he's so sorry for everything. He seems to have found God while in prison (or at least rediscovered God) and the only thing he wants to be able to do is see the beautiful faces of his children and his wife and hug them and kiss them. It's really sweet and sad. And it makes me want to curl up in a ball and cry for a few minutes, and then it makes me want to give this man a hug, whether he deserves it or not. And then it makes me want to write him back and become a pen-pal to this inmate. Is that weird/sick? Maybe he's in for white-collar crime, ya know? Embezzlement or something? I can't imagine that this man is in for something terrible like rape or murder. Although there is one passage in there that's a little questionable: "I hate that I lost my innocence and took away Kai-Kai's" (one of his daughters I later came to find out). That seems a little off-putting. But maybe it's just that innocence of "my dad is perfect and can do no wrong" and then it turns out he's in jail for fraud and the "jail" part of this scenario is the "loss of innocence". Kai-Kai realizes that her dad is not perfect. I hope that's what he means. And it sounds like Kai-Kai is the youngest of his (four) children so maybe she is the only one of them who hadn't seen her dad make mistake or a mess of his life yet? I'm just throwin it out there, I have no clue. It's kind of fun to make up this story about someone's life based off of one 8-page letter I accidentally stumbled upon.

So...what do you think? Do I write back? Do I send it to the REAL Bella McGinn? Do I call the random phone number that's listed in the letter that says "This is the # Justin called from" -- Zack Morris Time Out: I forgot to tell you that Bryan Meyers is not the inmate. The inmate's name is Justin (Or at least, that's what he signed the letter as). But the return address on the envelope INSIDE the envelope that was addressed to Bella McGinn is Bryan Meyers. And I think that's why I am OK with potentially becoming a pen pal to this inmate - because I know for a fact he's not related to Nina Meyers (thank heavens!) Zack Morris Time IN -- So, do I call the #? Do I leave him be? All 5 of my readers, I'd like for you to weigh in here. Let me know what you think I should do.

Ciao!

~B

2 comments:

  1. How does that happen?? I would forward it along? But that also might mean that it's just going to be thrown away. So sad! But he could have done something really bad....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know...isn't it f-ed up? I still have the letter and don't know what to do with it. PS i miss you.

    ReplyDelete