Wednesday, January 13, 2010

So I really want to run a half marathon but...

1) It's too damn cold to run outside, and
2) Every time I go to the gym the machines are taken.

FML.

So, I can't take full credit for writing about this topic today. I gotta give some love to my favorite blogger, 2 birds 1 blog. Meggles wrote about this a little bit yesterday (look for the part about ruffling her feathers and enjoy, she's hilarious).

So my roommate Lily and her boyfriend got me to start hitting the gym with them last week and I am forever greatful to have accountability partners to keep me honest and going to the gym. It's so nice to have someone to ask you every day, "do you want me to wait for you to head to the gym?" because it will encourage me to go. I'll feel like such a slacker if Lily is going and I don't, so even if I am not really in the mood, I'll still go because I really don't want to look like I can't handle the gym AND, I know that I'll be better off if I do go. So last week Lily and her bf told me they were training for the ING half marathon. Lily has friends coming in town for it from up in dem dere yankee states and they've asked me to train with them. So I'm doing it! And now that I've officially stated it on my blog, I really can't not do it. I mean, how disappointed would all 5 of my readers be if I lied to them straight to their face via my blog! I can't do that to you! And I can't let all of the other people I've told down either. I'm trying to strong arm myself into this half marathon by telling everyone I know that I'm training for it. It will help keep me accountable.

But right now, Atlanta is going through some kind of ridiculous cold front, making it virtually impossible to run outside. I mean hell, last week we had snow and ice all over the place and this city can't seem to get much hotter than 5 degrees above freezing. That simply will not do. There's a reason that cross country season is in the fall - because it's warm and you don't feel like you're going to lose a nipple to the cold while you're running. Seriously, just walking from my apartment to the gym I felt like my nose was going to fall off and my leg muscles were ridiculously tight and felt like I had pins and needles sticking into them. And that's for maybe a tenth of a mile. Imagine how bad it would be if I had to run 4-5 miles in that weather! No thank you.

So, I opt to run on the treadmill at the little gym I have at my apartment complex, at least until it gets warmer. Our fitness center has exactly 2 treadmills and 2 ellipticals. That's it for cardio. And we're not a small community! So by the time I get home from work, change clothes and walk over to the fitness center, it's about 6:15/6:20. And thanks to it being January (aka New Year's Resolutions month), the machines are always all taken. I can't wait for half of these people at the gym to be like "eh, I know I said I was going to work out this year, but I'm too lazy". And I plan to NOT be one of these people. Seriously, all I want is a treadmill! And I know I could just go a little bit later in the evening, but what if I have plans? Like going to trivia or out to dinner with a friend? If I wait and work out at 7:00, I'm done around 8:00, shower and get ready by 8:45, 9:00 dinner, that just sucks!

I'm really ready for all these jokers at the gym to forget about new beginnings and hand over the treadmill to the people who are serious about working out (like me! the half-marathon runner!) So get off my treadmill!! Athankyouverymuch.

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment