Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'm really doing it...

So over the last week I've come to find out via facebook (aka what I spend most of my time on) that I actually have a LOT of friends coming out of the woodworks who are running the ING half marathon (or the full marathon - kill me)! It's kind of exciting! And now that I've publicly stated it on my blog and on facebook, I can't not do it. I've just been struggling with the whole paying $80 thing. I know, I know, I could be using that $80 to help me get solvent by the end of this year but the way I look at it, this half marathon is a lifestyle change for me. Since I'm running on Saturdays and Sundays, I won't want to go out and get D-runk the night before because I know if I do then I won't be motivated to run the next day. And if I'm not going out as much then the money I would be spending out is actually not being spent and therefore, can go towards my $80 registration fee for the half-marathon! What's that you say? I'm a genius? Well, you said it :)

So I'm really pretty pumped about this. I know at least 11 other people who are running it which makes it that much more fun! AND, as of this morning, I'm officially registered so there's really no turning back. I'm just a teensy bit nervous that I might hurt myself between now and race time and then not be able to do it and then it's $80 down the drain but I can't think like that. I've got to think positively! I've decided that my goal is to 1) finish the race and 2) run/jog the whole time, not walk it. If I can do that I will be so happy with myself! And I'll probably finish it in under 3 hours which would be pretty clutch too.

So...how can you get involved? Well I'm glad you asked! Check out this link for information about cheering stations and hydration stations. I would love love love if you would support me - and all the other runners for that matter.

Back to training though: So I've started working out w/ another friend this week, Andy, and he's big into weight lifting, which I'm totally for - help build those muscles and get stronger for the race, but let me just say, I want to die today. My quads just want to jump off of my legs and crawl away at the thought of running today. Not good. And I know that the first couple of days after working out are the worst but damn. It probably doesn't help that my body and my mind are just both completely fried. I haven't done anything productive at work this morning and I really just want to sneak off to my car and nap during lunch. Think anyone would notice?

Aside from the fact that I feel like I've been savagely beaten to death by Andy over the last two days, I have to say there are definitely advantages to working out with a guy instead of a girl. It's too easy for me to say to a girl "nah, I don't think I can do that exercise", or "i'm too tired, lets throw in the towel early", but with a guy I don't want him to think that I'm a wimp. I can run with the boys! So I feel like I'm pushing myself and not taking the easy way out when I work out w/ him. AND, I'm pushing him during our runs. This is his first week of training and my third so I've got a little bit of a leg up on the running which makes me feel all high and mighty...until we start the weights. Anyway, I highly recommend finding someone of the opposite sex to work out with. It's rather fun :)

Sha-la-la!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment