Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Job Search Update

So, as most of you know, I'm an Atlanta native. Been here my entire life except for the 4 years I spent in Athens going to school. And as most of you know, I love Atlanta. I truly do. I'm proud of my city, proud of the south (as long as no one's being obnoxious about red-neck "southern pride" with Confederate flags hanging out the window), I love my friends, my family, the parks, the festivals, the spring and the fall. But I am itching for something new. Having no job right now has really got me thinking that I want to take an adventure to somewhere new, unfamiliar and exciting. I mean, truly, the world is my oyster. I'm job-less, perpetually single (apparently), and I can't imagine a more perfect time to pack up my life and get the hell out. Now if only I can find the right job in the right city...

New York is of course a front runner. The city that never sleeps. After just visiting there 3 weeks ago it's fresh on my mind as an amazing city loaded with opportunities. I've got a small network of friends that live up there that would be happy to show me around and keep me busy. And if I'm being totally honest, I've already got my name in the hat with 4 companies up there.

Los Angeles. Of course two of my best friends live in LA. And the west coast is absolutely beautiful. But the cost of living there is astronomical and I would have to find a much higher paying job to live out there. But it is something I'm going to explore.

Charlotte: Still in the south and pretty close to home if/when I wanted to come back and visit. And everyone seems to say that Charlotte is an up-and-coming big city so there are lots of opportunities to explore.

Chicago: probably too chilly/windy for me to fall in love with this city but talk about a fun town. Some of the most fun-loving people I know live here and there seem to be a lot of jobs up there. It's on my list.

Of course, I could always stay here. It would make some things easier - like not having to move all my stuff, fairly cheap living, close to family, but NO. That's not what I ultimately want right now. I want adventure. I want to explore my options in a new city. Some place unfamiliar and different from what I've known my entire life. Is that too much to ask? I don't think so. I really truly believe the world is my oyster. My former internship boss even recommended I look into jobs oversees, like London for example. Business is booming in London. I could do that. Not sure if I want to because then visiting home would literally cost me a fortune. But what if the right opportunity comes along? I definitely would consider it. For sure.

What are the drawbacks though? Well, ultimately I think my biggest drawback would be my roommate situation. Christy and I have lived together for 3 years in August. And she's tied down here for the next year because of her job. Could I really abandon her? I know ultimately, the answer is that I have to look out for number one, but I know that leaving her roommate-less would be harsh and unfair. I just don't know if I can sacrifice an amazing opportunity just because it would be inconvenient for her. I love Christy to death and I hate to put her in that position but sometimes a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do, right? Or am I being totally selfish.

Well, I guess truthfully I will just have to cross that bridge when I come to it. I don't have the job offer(s) yet. But I do have a lot of options that I'm looking into in these various cities. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment