Thursday, June 16, 2011

Apparently, I've Got It All Wrong

So as most of you know, I've been job searching and trying my damndest to find opportunities out of state, specifically in New York. I just know that my golden opportunity is out there but I haven't yet figured out what that opportunity is.

Tuesday I went to a career fair for all UGA alums. I did my research ahead of time and knew which companies I wanted to seek out while I was there. So I met with each of them and one of them turned into an impromptu informal interview.
As I spoke with Teddy, I came to the realization that this particular company was not for me. But I did appreciate the opportunity of being faced with an interview I hadn't prepared for. It required me to think on my feet and in some moments, bull-shit my way through a 40 minute converstaion. Knowing that I wouldn't be a good fit for their company (they're in memphis, yarf), it was a little bit refreshing to practice my interview techniques with them. After all, it has been 4 years since I had a face-to-face interview with a prospective company. One point in our conversation really got me thinking though. Teddy asked me if I could throw all caution to the wind, and write my very own perfect job for myself, what would it be? I knew that my answer wouldn't fit a job opening at his company so I had to kind of fake it for a little bit. But it got me thinking. Where do I truly want to be? What do I truly want to do? I've been in marketing ever since I got out of school. And while I've learned a lot and gained invaluable experience, I think that I have been blind to really think about doing anything else. But when he asked me that question - to paint the picture of my perfect job, marketing wasn't it. I thought about my non-profit experience and I thought about my love for food and my love for writing. But sitting behind a desk as an account executive wasn't part of my picture. So it got me thinking that maybe I really have been looking for a job in all the wrong places.

Last week, I met a family friend for coffee and discussed my situation with her and she told me about this online personality test that she recommended I take. It helps determine where my strengths are and could help point me in the right direction for my next career move. So I'm hoping that once I take this online test, that my strengths really do match up with my passions. And then, of course, I hope I can find a job in a field related to those strengths and passions...in New York.

I thought the career fair might have been a waste of my time, but now I realize, it might have been the best thing that's happened to me - and who knew that it wouldn't be because I found my dream job.

No comments:

Post a Comment