Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A New Frontier

June will be four years. Four years of my life that I've spent with the same company, doing the same thing, over and over and over. Sure, I've gained some marketable skills over those years. When I look back at my 22-year-old self, I'd say I'm much older and wiser now than I was back then. I've learned how to truly adapt to a business setting of 9-5. I've cultivated relationships with lots of people and definitely feel as though I've contributed a fair amount to the company. But the monotony has got to stop. I can only continue doing what I'm currently doing for so long before I do something stupid. I've decided it's time. Time to embark on a new adventure.

This is not to say that I don't thoroughly enjoy the people I work with on a day-to-day basis. My boss/mentor has taught me a ton and she truly is a great person to work for. And all the part-timers, I'm going to miss dearly. But I just don't think I can continue to work here for the rest of my life like so many people of our parents' generation have done. I need something new, exciting, scary and motivating. I want to work somewhere a little closer to the city. I want to put my skills to use in new and exciting ways that challenge me. I want to use some of those skills that I don't get to use very often. I want to write, I want to take an active role in my community and I want to love to go to work every day. Is that so much to ask?

Apparently not, because yesterday, what I right now believe to be my dream job, landed in my lap - or more accurately, my inbox. The Publix Georgia Marathon/Half Marathon is hiring for a community outreach director and you better believe that I want in.

"USRS is seeking a highly motivated and organized individual to serve as the Community Outreach & Group Sales Manager in Georgia.  The Community Outreach & Group Sales Manager is the liaison to the residents, churches, businesses, neighborhood associations and other constituencies.  The Community Outreach & Group Sales Manager coordinates communication about the Publix Georgia Marathon and Half Marathon and 13.1® Atlanta to these constituencies, gathers and responds to community feedback, and works to increase community support of the event, increase participation, increase spectator participation, and mitigate traffic impact on the communities through which the event passes.  The Community Outreach & Group Sales Manager reports directly to the Race Director."

Um...could this BE any more perfect for me!? I love to run half marathons, I'm already well acquainted with the community because I've been here for my entire life, I'm definitely a people person, I practice being a "liason" for all of my non-profit work, I love getting people involved in stuff going on in the community - basically, this job description was written for me!

Qualifications:


  • Excellent verbal communication and active listening skills Check

  • Strong public speaking and presentation skills Check

  • Professional, confident and driven work style Check

  • Effectively utilizes tools/resources to work efficiently Check

  • High level attention to detail and superior follow through Check

  • Proficient with Microsoft/Windows office suite including PowerPoint, Word & Excel Check

  • Previous experience with the Publix Georgia Marathon and/or 13.1® Atlanta as a participant or volunteer a plus  Check - might not have been a volunteer, and sure it was the ING when I ran it but, close enough, right?

  • Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills with the ability to work in a demanding self-directed work schedule Check

  • Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Communications, Sports Administration or related field preferred and/or 3 to 5 years equivalent work experience Marketing - Check



      OMG, I seriously want this soooo badly. But I absolutely hate writing cover letters. I feel like I get too wordy and nothing sounds exactly like I want it to. For being a self-titled "writer", you would think I'd knock this one out of the park. I also hate interviewing - I get all nervous and sweaty. And it's almost summer which makes that a million times worse. ::sigh:: Well, guess you guys know what I'll be working on for the next couple of weeks. Wish me luck!

        2 comments:

        1. Gooood luck! Sounds awesome :) Will be checking back to find out if my good luck helped you land a job ahaha

          ReplyDelete
        2. Thanks Yvonne! I will definitely keep you posted!

          ReplyDelete