Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Did I do this to myself?

So those of you who read yesterday's post know that I had this dream job land in my lap, right? And I had all these intentions of working on my resume at night and writing a kick-ass cover letter, talk about myself for a full 300-500 words and get hired and give my 2 weeks notice at my current job and never have a day of unemployment. Well, I think I jinxed myself. Because yesterday, at 4:30pm, my boss paid me a visit and decided to let me go. So I'm officially unemployed. And while I do get a severance package, I didn't really plan on not having a job to go to for the next 3 weeks, but alas, yesterday happened and my job is no-mas.

So the question remains - did I do this to myself? I got all high and mighty about how I found this dream job and then I get fired? I'm sorry - it's not "fired" it's "let go" or "your position has been terminated" or whatever. Still, I'm unemployed. I haven't been unemployed in 4 years. That may not sound like much but holy hell - this is the longest I've ever had a job (and also my first and only "real" job). Did I completely jinx myself? Like, if I hadn't gotten that email from the Marathon guys, and I hadn't written yesterday's post, would I still have my job? If a tree falls in the woods, and no one is around, does it make a sound? Is that an accurate metaphor? I'm not really sure. And I know I can't get bogged down with the details of what I did or didn't do that might have lead to this, because deep down I don't think I believe that I did this to myself, but a little part of me will always wonder I suppose.

Anyway, I'm trying to look at this as a great opportunity. Yes it sucks not having a job but at the same time, I now can devote ALL of my free time to searching for that perfect job. Maybe this Marathon job is it, maybe it isn't. What I do know, is that now there's no excuse to have shitty cover letters because I have all the time in the world to craft it exactly perfectly.

So what did I do last night? I had my 15 minute cry-fest peppered with a "what am I going to dooooo with my life!?" freak-out and then I downed 4 beers and 1/2 a bottle of wine. Because that's what I'm going to do. I'm going to wallow in my sorrows for at least a solid 24 hours, get it all out of my system and start fresh this afternoon. At 4:30 (precisely 24 hours from when I heard the words "we're letting you go"), I'm heading to hot yoga, then showering, then working on my resume.

But between now and then, if you'd like to join me in my wallowing and self-pity, feel free to hit me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment