Thursday, July 8, 2010

I wish that I could be a California Girl...

Ah yes, the return from the beautiful city of Los Angeles. And now I'm back in the too-hot-too-humid city of Atlanta. I came to a realization a few weeks ago that a LOT of my closest friends have moved away. Soph is in LA, Meggie is in Oregon, Serena's in Charlotte, Catharine is in New York, J-baz is in Charleston, Carly is in Chicago and MK is in San Diego. And I'd almost take it personally if they didn't each have legit reasons for wanting to move to the places they've moved to. Whether it's for school, a new job, a non-profit, or to be closer to family, every single one of them has valid reasons for wanting to high-tail it out of Georgia and be at least 5 hours away from me. And yes, it's extremely narcissistic of me to make their change of geography all about me but I guess when birthdays roll around it makes me feel extremely lonely. And I kind of take it personally even though I know it's not their intent and I know I shouldn't. But yeah, the big 2-5 this year. ugh. It makes my neck hurt - must be growing pains, right?


Thankfully I do still have some amazing besties that live in Atlanta or close enough to make the drive for special occasions but I feel like I'm hearing more and more that they all want out of Atlanta. They're done with the city, done with the men, done with their jobs and they want a change. And I guess I've never really felt that way. For one, have always been in LOVE with this city. I had a pretty sweet upbringing here, all things considered, and ultimately want to end up settling down here. I love being so familiar with my surroundings that I don't have to worry about anything. I know what parts of the city are safe and what parts aren't. I have a great group of friends that I see on a pretty frequent basis and for that I'm extremely thankful. But recently I'm having a slight change of heart, like maybe there's another city that I should explore.

I absolutely did NOT want to leave LA on Tuesday. We said our goodbye's to Sophia when we dropped her off at orientation and I had to leave quickly to keep from crying. I had an immediate flashback to the day I met her at the airport before she took off the month before. And I got that lump in my throat and felt the tears starting to come so I quickly said my goodbyes and walked away from the school. Not only is Soph out there but there was so much I wanted to keep exploring in the city! It was beautiful and exciting and fun!

And thanks to Sophia's connections I felt like I was already well accepted into that lifestyle and city. Here I have to stand outside in lines like everywhere else, but not in LA. Not with John's help! It was like the world was my oyster and I could shuck the hell out of that place!

It wasn't scary or intimidating. It was friendly (minus any and all male police officers who were extremely rude) and inviting. And I wanted sooo much more than what I was able to experience in the short amount of time I was there. And they have pinkberry out there!

And awesome H&Ms! And Miley Cirus (just kidding)! And The Beverly Wilshire!


And so much more!!!



Now maybe I have Cleveland syndrome (here's part of a clip I was trynig to find yesterday for you!):



Or maybe I really do need a change? I don't know yet but I'm hoping there's some kind of sign soon. I am officially in my mid-20s now and I feel like if I'm going to make a career change or start something new in my life, I might as well bite the bullet and get it going now while I'm still young enough to figure out what the hell I want in this life. I truly want to enroll in writing classes and start a novel or a screenplay or something! Which I could do anywhere in this country! Then again I also want to be the next food network star...ugh here I go again. I need a come-to-Jesus moment where it just hits me of what I should be doing with my life. Any clues as to how to get there, let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment